Sunday 25 November 2012

Guide to steampunk: part 2 - ladies clothing

When putting together a costume (either steampunk or cosplay) I always find it really helpful to split it up into little bits to make it easier to make and organise.

I also make sure I find lots of photos from the internet to draw inspiration from and to use as references:

 

 
 
All credit to the photographers/models.
 
So, looking at the photos above, lets split the basic steampunk ladies outfit down into its different parts and deal with them separately.
 
Firstly, the skirt. As you can see above, there are lots of different varieties of vintage/steampunk skirts out there! A general ebay search for vintage or victorian clothing is a good place to start. There is a lot of custom made steampunk clothing out there (especially on ebay), however this is quite expensive and best avoided if on a budget.
 
Ebay searching generally requires a good amount of luck, and I was extremely lucky in finding this awesome skirt:

 
The skirt is about mid calf length and made of two layers - a satiny underskirt and black lace overskirt. The lace is shorter giving it a lovely Victorian look to it!
 
Obviously if you were wearing an aviator/pirate/engineer themed outfit you might prefer to wear trousers (as I did for my first steampunk outfit). Mine were dark brown leather (and remarkably cheap for their quality), but any sort of dark coloured trousers would do. Its important to go for materials and styles which fit the steampunk theme.
 
 
 
Next, the top! Normally this consists of two parts - a blouse or shirt and then a corset. The corset is the most difficult, in my opinion, as they can be quite expensive and its hard to find one on ebay that is suitably steampunky. Nevertheless, they can be found if you're lucky! Underbust corset/belt type things are usually the cheapest and easiest to find.
 
I didnt want to wear my corset for the ball as its a bit too gothic. This lead to a dilemma, as my white ruffle blouse really could do with something on top of it to get the layering right...
 
My current solution is to use a black studded waistcoat, which I bought a while ago at Matalan but have never really put into a steampunk outfit before. The only problem with this is I may get too warm at the ball and have to take it off, so I may need a belt or something as a back up plan.
 
 
The blouse is relatively simple, as they can be found quite cheaply and easily both on the internet and in shops. If you prefer, a normal white/black/brown shirt will do over one with ruffles.
 
Shoes! I'm wearing my long black heeled boots as they look suitably steampunky. Anything leather looking is good, especially with buckles.
 
Heres a picture of my finished costume!
 
 


So now I have all my clothing sorted... but what about accessories? (goggles, jewellery, gloves, etc) Well, I'll be blogging about that later on, after I've covered mens clothing.
 
Also, I feel I should point out that steampunk, as with all fashions, comes in many different forms and styles. The guide above is a basic outline for a sort of standard steampunk costume, but a simple google search will reveal so many different variations on the theme!
 
 
Sorry for the bad picture quality, but this was one of my favourite costumes from Goth Weekend last year - a dress with a clockwork key sticking out of the back. The only limit is really your imagination!  
 
I hope you found that helpful... feel free to ask me any questions!

Becky x

 
 

1 comment:

  1. Hey Becky I nominated you for the Liebster Award...check it out here on my blog http://fionawithrington.blogspot.co.uk/ :D xx

    ReplyDelete